A to Z Challenge: O is for Oswego (#AtoZChallenge)
Welcome to my April 2017 Great and Powerful 2017 Blogging from A to Z Challenge!
Today, O is for Oswego Street!
Here is a Google map showing where Oswego Street is located in James Bay.
What I could find out about Oswego Street:
Oswego Street stretches from Belleville by the inner harbour, all the way down to Dallas Road near the Breakwater.
“James Bay’s earliest subdivision streets were named after places in eastern North America that were familiar to the HBC officers: Superior, Huron, Michigan, Belleville, Niagara, Ontario, Kingston, Montreal, Toronto, Oswego, Erie and Quebec. A few names have been changed, such as St. John, now Pendray Street, and Ottawa and Hamilton, now part of Dallas Road. Dallas itself (named after A.G. Dallas of the HBC) now skirts only the western and southern edges of James Bay, but once was the name popularly used for the entire shoreline roadway, including what is now Belleville Street. ”
“The east sides of Oswego, San Jose and Lewis Streets comprise almost intact streetscapes of modest houses of the late 1800s and early 1900s, but nearby streets boast many other working and middle class enclaves, notably along Niagara, Menzies, Rithet, South Turner, lower Government, Toronto, Heather, Parry, Battery and Alma Place (off Michigan) and Avalon.”
Some of the interesting stops along the way are:
- The Harbour House Restaurant (one of mom and dad’s favourites): http://victoriaharbourhouse.com/
- The Oswego Hotel: https://www.oswegohotelvictoria.com/
- James Bay Community School: http://www.jamesbaycentre.ca/
- The Surf Motel (really ON Dallas, but on the corner of Dallas and Oswego): http://surfmotel.net/
Being a longer street, it should be surprising that there are quite a few heritage houses on Oswego:
- 52 Oswego Street: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/HReg/JamesB/Oswego51.html
- 55 Oswego Street: http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=3869
- 59 Oswego Street: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/HReg/JamesB/Oswego59.html
- 65 Oswego Street: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/HReg/JamesB/Oswego65.html
- 101 Oswego Street: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/HReg/JamesB/Oswego101.html
- 117 Oswego Street: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/HReg/JamesB/Oswego117.html
- 119 Oswego Street: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/HReg/JamesB/Oswego119.html
- 151 Oswego Street: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/HReg/JamesB/Oswego151.html
- 247 Oswego Street: http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/HReg/JamesB/Oswego247.html
Here are a few pictures I took of Oswego Street.
The Owego Hotel
The Surf Motel
What else do you want to know about Oswego Street? Ask away, and I will see what I can find out for you!
Thanks for visiting letter O of my A to Z Challenge post of 2017. You can find more I posts at http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/2017/04/atozchallenge-4-18-2017-letter-o.html. Stay tuned for P is for... tomorrow!!