W is for…
Anyway…Fisherman’s Wharf is an interesting place. I hadn’t been down there in awhile when I went to take pictures of the Float Homes. I was quite surprised. Barb’s Fish and Chips (http://barbsfishandchips.com/) has been a fixture there for years, but today, it’s in the middle of an outdoor food court – Mexican style fish tacos, sushi, BBQ, coffee, etc. Very strange, but kind of cool. Of course, there are also float homes as you’ve seen, as well as a dock for the Harbour Ferry, and also docks for fishing boats. Nearby are some fancy condos. And, in the summer, lots of tourists (especially since Fisherman’s Wharf is near Ogden Point (“O”), there the ferries dock.
People feed the seals here. Not always a good idea. Don’t ever let yourself get bitten by a seal. Only bites worse are cat bites and human bites. Very toxic. Did you know that seals are the gophers of the sea? They are cool when you don’t know much about them, but they really are pests sometimes.
Nearby the Wharf itself is the park. The Fisherman’s Wharf Park is fairly new. There are benches, a little playground, native plant gardens, and an herb garden. A nice place for a walk, or a site down and reflection moment.
Fisherman’s Wharf Park
Food Court Row
Seals (don’t get too close…)
Websites of Interest
- Fisherman’s Wharf: http://fishermanswharfvictoria.com/
- Fisherman’s Wharf at the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority: http://gvha.ca/f_fishermanswharf.php
- The Fish Store at Fisherman’s Wharf: http://www.floatingfishstore.com/
- Victoria Harbour Ferry/Fisherman’s Wharf: http://www.victoriaharbourferry.com/destinations/view/16-fishermans-wharf
- Fisherman’s Wharf Park: http://www.victoria.ca/EN/main/departments/parks-rec-culture/parks/improvements/fishermans-wharf-park.html